Friday, September 24, 2010

Lee Kuan Yew's comments on various religions

In the transcript of the interview Seth Mydans had with Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew, for the New York Times and the International Herald Tribune held on 1 September 2010, Mr Lee gave his comments on various religions.

Agnosticism
"I am an agnostic."

The meaning of the word, from various dictionaries:
One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God, who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
One who is doubtful, noncommittal or unwilling to commit to an opinion about something.

This website gave the origin of the word "Agnostic":
QUOTE
The word agnostic was coined in 1869 by Thomas Henry Huxley, the noted English biologist. Though the date of coinage is known, the specific etymology that Huxley had in mind has been a matter of debate for some years. The following portion of a letter dated March 13, 1881 (which has since disappeared) from R.H. Hutton was printed by the editors of the Oxford English Dictionary at the entry for agnostic:
Suggested by Prof. Huxley at a party held previous to the formation of the now defunct Metaphysical Society, at Mr. James Knowles’s house on Clapham Common, one evening in 1869, in my hearing. He took it from St. Paul’s mention of the altar to "the Unknown God."
The Greek form of the altar inscription given in Acts 17:23 is agnosto theo.
UNQUOTE


Chinese Traditional Religion
"I was brought up in a traditional Chinese family with ancestor worship. I would go to my grandfather’s grave on All Soul’s Day which is called “Qingming”. My father would bring me along, lay out food and candles and burn some paper money and kowtow three times over his tombstone. At home on specific days outside the kitchen he would put up two candles with my grandfather’s picture. But as I grew up, I questioned this because I think this is superstition. ... After my father died, I dropped the practice."

Being the former Prime Minister of Singapore, Mr Lee is aware of the importance of monetary policy. It is simply impossible that 阎罗王 (if he exists) would allow monetary exchange via burning of cheap paper. It is tantamount to allowing strangers to print legal currency.


Christianity
"My youngest brother baptised my father as a Christian. He did not have the right to. ... I do not know if my father was fully aware when he was converted into Christianity."


Islam
"The Muslims say that there are seventy houris, beautiful women up there. But nobody has come back to confirm this."

The 72 houris are found in what Muslims refer to as Gharib Hadiths (weak or strange Hadiths), so it is better not to believe them. However, the Quran does promise men young maidens for companions (Surah an-Naba' 78:31-34) in paradise but does not specify their exact number. I wonder what would the women get.


Buddhism
"The Buddhist believes in transmigration of the soul. If you live a good life, the reward is in your next migration, you will be a good being, not an ugly animal. It is a comforting thought, but my wife and I do not believe in it."

Buddhists do not believe in transmigration of the soul. Hindus do.

No comments: